Original Torii Kotondo (1900 - 1976) Japanese Woodblock Print
Geisha in Summer Style - Limited Edition Commemorative Print
Ishu Kankokai Published Commemorative
- With the permission of Kotondo's heirs, a single small commemorative runs of his prints was produced by the venerable publisher Ishukankokai. These reprints were produced to the same exacting standard as Kotondo's originals. Expert carvers were contracted to produce the highest quality wood blocks and printers meticulously reprinted Kotondo's originals with the same attention to quality and detail. These reprints are on beautiful, hand made paper printed with the same colors and mica detail as Kotondo's originals.
- Torii Kotondo was a native of Tokyo. He was one of the great shin-hanga masters who excelled in the art of the beauty print. Prints such as his exquisite nude "Kamisuki," the demure beauty in the print titled "Sash," and his lovely image of a young woman in winter in "Peony Snowflakes" are all classic examples of Kotondo's mastery of the beauty print. Kotondo's prints are considered some of the most stunning beauty designs and great masterworks of the 20th century wood block print tradition. His output of beauty prints was a very small (22 works total), and the number of prints produced of each image was also small. Original Kotondo prints are very rare and highly sought after by collectors today. His best images easily exceed $10,000 in the Japanese print market.
After Kotondo's death, with the permissions of his heirs, the venerable publisher Ishukankokai produced a limited edition set of 12 Kotondo beauty designs. Only 100 sets were produced. These fantastic Kotondo designs were again available in strictly limited quantity for collectors to enjoy. Today, once again, Kotondo works are almost impossible to find in the market, including these Ishukankokai prints.
Search the net, we found only a few of these prints offered, and sold for as much as $2,000 each. As always, at Fuji Arts our prices are a fraction of those prices offering you unsurpassed quality and value.
Geisha in Summer Style - Limited Edition Commemorative Print - A beautiful Kotondo head and shoulders portrait of the young beauty in a summer kimono holding a fan. The woman looking demurely away from the viewer, her hair pinned high in a classic style of the period. Beautiful soft colors in this excellent Kotondo designed, distinctly tones of spring/summer. The lovely beauty portrait against the rich blue background- a flawless composition. Our wonderful prints with some light embossed sang on the woman's obi and mica detail on the obi, as well. An excellent print for display.
- Each print is being sold with its original presentation folder. The prints are stored in a beautiful inner folder with paper surround and protective liner and a heavy outer folder with subject and series titles in Japanese. See example photo below for the type of folders you will get with your print.
- Ishu Kankokai, with red moneybag seal
- Ito Susumu/Watanabe Yoshiaki
- 10 1/4" x 16 1/8"
- 13" x 19"
Artist - Torii Kotondo (1900 - 1976)
Condition - This print in pristine condition overall, excellent with no issues to report. Fine color, excellent detail, a top-notch printing job. Full margins, not backed. No holes, tears, damage, repairs, or any issues to report. An excellent choice for the discerning collector.