Torii Kotondo (1900 - 1976)
Summer Kimono, Iris
Ishukankokai Published Commemorative
Commemorative Kotondo Prints - With the permission of Kotondo's heirs, a single small commemorative runs of his prints was produced by the venerable publisher Ishukankokai. These reprints were produced to the same exacting standard as Kotondo's originals. Expert carvers were contracted to produce the highest quality wood blocks and printers meticulously reprinted Kotondo's originals with the same attention to quality and detail. These reprints are on beautiful, hand made paper printed with the same colors and mica detail as Kotondo's originals. Signed
Torii Kotondo, 20th century master - Torii Kotondo was a native of Tokyo. He was one of the great shin-hanga masters who excelled in the art of the beauty print. Prints such as his exquisite nude "Kamisuki," the demure beauty in the print titled "Sash," and his lovely image of a young woman in winter in "Peony Snowflakes" are all classic examples of Kotondo's mastery of the beauty print. Kotondo's prints are considered some of the most stunning beauty designs and great masterworks of the 20th century wood block print tradition. His output of beauty prints was a very small (22 works total), and the number of prints produced of each image was also small. Original Kotondo prints are very rare and highly sought after by collectors today. His best images easily exceed $10,000 in the Japanese print market.
After Kotondo's death, with the permissions of his heirs, the venerable publisher Ishukankokai produced a limited edition set of 12 Kotondo beauty designs. Only 100 sets were produced. These fantastic Kotondo designs were again available in strictly limited quantity for collectors to enjoy. Today, once again, Kotondo works are almost impossible to find in the market, including these Ishukankokai prints.
Search the net, we found only a few of these prints offered, and sold for as much as $2,000 each. As always, at Fuji Arts our prices are a fraction of those prices offering you unsurpassed quality and value.
Summer Kimono, Iris - Lovely, classic Kotondo design of a young beauty in a light summer cotton kimono. A beautiful classic bijin print by the artist showing the young woman kneeling on a pillow in front of a stand mirror, arranging her hair for an evening out. An excellent Kotondo design and tranquil beauty print that would make a knockout display. Our lovely print with fine embossed detail on the kimono. Beautiful soft color and excellent printing. The mirror treated with a light mica pigment giving it a shimmering effect - very nice.
- Kotondo-ga Seal
- Kotondo Publisher
- Ishukankokai, with red moneybag seal Carver/Printer
- Ito Susumu/Watanabe Yoshiaki Image size
- 10 1/4" x 16 1/8" Sheet size
- 13" x 19" Condition
- This print in pristine condition overall, excellent with no issues to report. Fine color, excellent detail, a top-notch printing job. Full margins, not backed. No holes, tears, damage, repairs, or any issues to report. An excellent choice for the discerning collector. With original presentation folder
- Each print is being sold with its original presentation folder. The prints are stored in a beautiful inner folder with paper surround and protective liner and a heavy outer folder with subject and series titles in Japanese. See example photo below for the type of folders you will get with your print.